Beating the odds
Only 16% of all software projects succeed. The rest are challenged or scrapped due to the following:
- Failure to understand how a given profession does business.
- Failure to adhere to the principles of the Mythical Man Month in putting together the project.
- Failure to know how to build modular, web centric code able to enhance the workflow that defines the business in question.
- Failure to set in place the right size team needed to do the job at the beginning because adding more people to a late project makes it later.
- Setting up reasonable costs and timeframes needed to do the job, something not done regarding Healthcare.gov.
- Using closed source tools when said project needs to be open source, scale independent and web savvy in order for it to succeed.